How to should I start a golf fitness program?
Musculo-skeletal screening– A pro-active Approach
The process of strength and conditioning for golfers
Do’s and don’ts of strength training for golfers
Is your fitness program destroying your golf swing?
- The process of strength and conditioning for golfers
- The use of different sporting activities and resistance work to develop a strength and conditioning program specific to golf.
- Golf specific fitness exercises.
- Golf specific functional tests and drills
- First protocol, warming up and stretching
- Second protocol, abdominal training and trunk stability training.
- Third protocol, heavy weights and building back muscles
- Fourth protocol, running and aerobic work.
- Fifth protocol, cycling.
- Sixth protocol, swimming
- Additional exercises are needed
- Breathing exercises to reduce tension.
- The profile of a tense golfer
- Relaxation and breathing techniques on the golf course
- Breathing control, techniques when swinging a club.
How should I stretch for golf?
- Stretching and warming up for golfers
- Do’s and Don’ts of stretching for golfers
- Principles of hold/ relax techniques
- Hamstring stretch.
- Muscles of the outside leg.
- Stretching of the glutei muscles
- Ilio psoas
- Piriformis muscle
- Levator scapulae and upper trapezius muscles
How do I prevent back pain as a golfer?
- Your back and golf
- The spine and the golfer during swing phases
- Middle body segment- transverse abs and multifidis in the golfer (strengthening
- Klapps Crawl
What is the best way to lift and handle my buggy and clubs?
- Causes of injury
- Injuries that can occur while carrying golf clubs
- Lifting and handling your buggy
- Having a third wheel on your buggy
How do I prevent upper body pain as a golfer?
- Your neck and shoulders in golf
- Causes of neck injuries in golf.
- Stretching levator scapulae and upper trapezius
- Causes of shoulder injuries
- Stretching pec major/minor
- Elbows and wrists in golf
- Common causes of injury
- The elbow-injuries are golfers elbow, tennis elbow
- Wrist and stretches for golf
- Extensor forearm stretch
- Flexor carpi ulnaris stretch
- Wrist and finger flexor stretch
- Hands and fingers
- Thumb stretch
- Finger stretch
How should I select my shoes and look after my feet?
- Correct footwear and foot care for golf
- Simple methods for fitting shoes
- Other factors to consider when selecting footwear
- Calf muscle test
- Taking care of your feet
- Little and often
- Causes of injury
- Foot exercises for the golfer
How should I prepare and warm up?
- Plan your golf day
- Benefits of a 6 step plan
- Step one – Before you leave home
- Check the weather
- Check your equipment
- Stretches and exercises
- Step two – On your way to the course
- Car travel
- Common problems when driving
- Step three – Arriving at the course
- Step four – warming up on the range
- Step five – During the round
- Step six – Post round
How should I plan for playing in varying climates and weather conditions?
- Training in cold climates
- What happens when the body is exposed to the cold
- Who is most at risk in the cold
- What factors can further add to the cold exposure and increase the danger of suffering a cold injury
- Signs and symptoms of developing a cold injury
- How will these signs affect my golf
- On course preparation
- Clothing and equipment
- Dressing in layers means you can add and remove
- Fluids and nutrition
- Physical preparation for winter golf
- Training for summer golf
- Maintain your fluids
- Hats and clothing
- Exposure to heat and light
- Keep cool during the game
- Make allowances for your level of fitness and any underlying illness
- First aid treatment for a heat affected victim
How do I eat and drink my way to better golf?
- What are carbohydrates and how can they improve your game?
- Do you follow the basic principles of a good diet?
- Do you have a plan for eating and drinking during competition?
- How much fluid do you need?
- How much should you drink?
- What should you drink?
- What should you eat before, during and after a competition?
- Before competition
- During competition
- After competition, health snacks
- Are you a healthy weight for your height?
- Why don’t diets work?
- How do you lose weight and keep it off?
- Diet control principles for weight control
- Eating disorders